2012 has been a strong year in music for female vocalists, a steady continuing trend from 2011 when it was the girls that dominated the charts worldwide. With female artists representing every genre of music from hip-hop to country, there can be no doubting that girl-power is here to stay. We have compiled a list of the top 10 most popular female singers of 2012 – 2013; each one adored by millions of fans, and worthy of a place in your record collection.
10) Cheryl Cole After a quiet 2011 in musical terms, Cheryl Cole came back with a new album this year and reaffirmed herself as the UK’s top-pop queen. Cheryl’s third studio album, “A Million Lights” released in June, has recently been certified platinum and the title track “Call My Name”, produced by Calvin Harris, quickly became the fastest selling single of the year so far in the UK pop charts.
9) Jennifer Lopez At 42, Jennifer Lynn Lopez might not be the youngest female singer out there, but she is still one of the most popular. The actress cum singer remains one of the most beautiful women in the world and has stormed back into the charts this year with her first greatest hits album, “Dance Again…the Hits”, and the announcement of the Dance Again World Tour which will be her first as a headliner. Throw in her popularity as a judge on American Idol and there is no stopping J-Lo right now.
8) Shakira Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll has proved that you don’t necessarily have to release a record in 2012 to achieve a place on the list of the most popular singers. The Columbian songstress is hugely popular across the world in both Spanish and English-speaking countries as well as having over 44 million fans on Facebook.
7) Taylor Swift Taylor Swift is the local Pennsylvania girl who made it big in the country and pop charts with her infectious music and girl-next-door appeal. The 22-year-old began her musical career six years ago with a move to Nashville Tennessee, and really cemented her place among the most popular females with the release of her third studio album, “Speak Now”, which reached number one is countries across the world and earned her a place in the Guinness Book of World Records.
6) Katy Perry Despite being in the music business for almost a decade, it is only in recent years that Katy Perry has achieved commercial success, hitting the big time on the back of her mainstream debut album, “One of the Boys” and the lead single, “I Kissed a Girl”. Her second album “Teenage Dream” really cemented her status as one of the world’s most popular singers while 2012 has seen Katy gain more success with the release of her part-biopic concert film, “Katy Perry: Part of Me.
5) Beyoncé Beyoncé Knowles, has been a musical mega-star since her pop career began with Destiny’s Child over 15 years ago. Although she has been away from the music seen over the past year or so due to the birth of her daughter – Blue Ivy Carter (whose daddy just happens to be Beyoncé’s husband Jay-Z!) – Beyoncé remains at the very top of the A-list in terms of popularity, and her album “I Am…” continues to be one of the world’s biggest sellers.
4) Nicki Minaj Onika Tanya Maraj is the queen of hip-hop and R&B and has millions of fans across the world thanks to her quirky style and catchy tunes. Nicki’s multi-platinum selling album ‘Pink Friday’ has earned her legions of followers on both Facebook and Twitter, with fans affectionately referred to as “Barbz”.
3) Lady Gaga Being the most watched female artist on YouTube and having in excess of 47 million fans on Facebook as well as 28 million followers on Twitter, is enough to give Lady Gaga a high placing on this list. Since first breaking onto the scene in 2009, Gaga has become a pop-culture phenomenon, gaining recognition for her unique fashion sense and outstanding vocal performances on “The Fame” and “Born This Way”, both albums that went multi-platinum across the world.
2) Rihanna Affectionately known to her millions of fans across the world as “Ri-Ri”, Rihanna is one of the hardest working pop stars in the world and is instantly recognizable on every continent. Hailing from the small Caribbean island of Barbados, Rihanna has had massive success since first breaking on to the scene in 2005 with her debut album “Music of the Sun”. Five more albums later and a string of number one singles puts Rihanna amongst the top of the pop hierarchy.
1) Adele 2012 in pop belongs to one woman – Adele Adkins. The North London singer followed up her successful debut album, “19” with “21”, an album that made the whole world stand up and take notice of Adele’s beautiful, soulful vocals. “21” has broken records for sales world-wide and has earned the songstress an array of music awards including six Grammy’s! That alone is worthy of top spot in this list ofmost popular singers in 2012 -2013!